Saturday, July 15, 2006

벌서 일년 (2집)

Its amazing how amateur my translation of the song 벌서 일년 was! I spent more than 8 years in Korea, and learned the language well enough to manage most of my whole life independently. I negotiated my last work contract in Korean (talk about being at a disadvantage) and dealt with finding my last apartment, getting all of the utilities hooked up, and the reverse process of getting rid of it all. Every day I was praised by Koreans surprised and delighted at the level of interaction I could foster with them.

But in practical terms I just never reached the level to claim true proficiency. I couldn't sit in meetings and participate. I would generally know what was being talked about, but most of the specifics would be a total mystery to me! I can watch Korean movies with English subtitles and recognize that the words in English match the spoken Korean (or that they sometimes don't)- but am totally adrift without the subtitles.

Well, thankfully the Internet can fill in the blank spaces in my abilities. Here are the lyrics to 벌서 일년 (Already One Year) translated in their entirety.

Brown Eyes - Already One Year
Translated by: Sooki

already a year thinking that because it was the first time
it would be fine after a few days
memories I had made with you come to me

my uneasy shyness the first time I confessed my love for you
passing by the first day we met
the tears, lighting the cake, and congratulating you on your birthday

*I believe in you I believe in your mind
even though already a year has gone by
even after a year or a year after that I wait for you

I couldn't say I miss you come back to me
because of the warm gaze of that person
and your face which was brighter than the ring on your left hand

**I believe in you I believe in your mind
even though I know you've started over
even though you are making memories without me

I always remember bygone laughter, conversations, and hopes
and now only one new memory to make
only my waiting and tears for you

**I believe in you I believe in your mind
even though I know you've started over
even though you are making memories without me

*I believe in you I believe in your mind
even though already a year has gone by
even after a year or a year after that I wait for you

It turns out that he did tell her he loved her...and that love lived for a short time.

But its been a year since they went their separate way, and she has moved on to making new memories without him.

Meanwhile he is still living in his memories of her.

And still believes.....

No comments: